How Prepared Are You?
Hurricane victims are often blindsided by the sudden impact of storms, especially when they weren’t fully prepared. Take our mini, essentials quiz to ensure you’re ready for the next tropical storm season.
1. Make sure you’re stocked up on ________ days worth of water and non-perishable foods:
2. Windows should be protected with:
3. Important papers such as birth certificates and social security cards should be stored:
a. In someone’s pocket
b. In a plastic bag
c. In a binder or folder
4. Only coastal areas should prepare for hurricanes.
5. The following are acceptable precautions to take for the safety of your vehicle except:
a. Leaving vehicle in a carport.
b. Leaving vehicle under a tree.
c. Leaving vehicle in a garage.
6. During a hurricane, it is best to:
a. Stay inside, away from windows.
b. Stay outside to avoid being trapped inside.
c. Try paddling or driving to an unaffected area.
7. If an evacuation order is implemented before the storm arrives, you should:
a. Stay where you are, it may not be too bad.
b. If possible, leave immediately.
c. If it’s impossible to leave, prepare and take extreme measures to ensure safety.
Answer (b & c)
These are just some of the many precautions recommended to take before a tropical storm affects your region. Read more tropical storm facts and safety tips on the National Hurricane Center’s Hurricane Awareness page.